Friday, April 22, 2011

Sketchy (Good) Friday: Central Presbyterian Church

I know, I know...two weeks ago I said I'd post a sketch each Friday.  Clearly, I failed last Friday...but today is another story.  For the first time in I don't know how long, I sketched a building.  Man am I rusty!!  I probably shouldn't have posted those sketches I did in Rome because this one pales in comparison.  No matter, it's a start.

Being that it's Good Friday, I figured it would be appropriate to sketch one of the beautiful churches in our neighbourhood.  I chose Central Presbyterian Church by famed Ontario architect, John M. Lyle:



Lyle grew up in Hamilton but trained at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris.  After graduation, he practised in New York City for a while where he was involved in the design for the New York Public Library. 

In 1905 he returned to Ontario and set up his own practise.  During his career he designed such notable buildings as the Royal Alexandra Theatre and Union Station in Toronto.  In 1908, he designed Central Presbyterian.  It's not surprising that he was chosen as the building's architect - his father was the pastor at Central.

Over 100 years later, the church remains a landmark in Hamilton's Durand neighbourhood.  At night, the church's spire is illuminated, making it an easy landmark to spot.

1 comment:

white collar | green soul said...

I should probably start sketching as well. Apparently, architects do that....

I love this church - it's one of my favourites in this city. Good job! Definitely better than my first will be.